Canberra Community Law offers rewarding job opportunities and attractive employment conditions including salary packaging together with flexible and family friendly work policies.
We particularly invite applications from people with a disability and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
Full Time Office Manager Position
Canberra Community Law Administration Internship
If you are interested in being considered for the internship, please apply as directed below and we will contact you should a placement become available.
We recruit 3rd or 4th year law students who:
- want to contribute to the work undertaken by a community legal centre;
- have administrative work experience and strong organisational and communication skills;
- have experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds or people with disability or Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- have an interest in social justice; and
- can commit to at least one day (9 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 5 pm) a week for 6 months.
Key intern duties include:
- answering phones and greeting clients;
- making referrals to other legal services when appropriate; and
- undertaking a range of other administrative tasks including photocopying, filing, distributing and sending mail, coordinating catering, scheduling and confirming client appointments and data entry.
How to apply:
- Download and complete the Internship Application Form (DOC, 137KB)
- Email your completed application form along with your CV and a cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org
We particularly invite applications from students with a disability and students from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
Night Time Legal Advice Service
The Night Time Legal Advice Service (NTLAS) runs every Tuesday night from 6pm to 8pm all year (except December and January). NTLAS is supervised by a solicitor employed by Canberra Community Law, but otherwise the service is provided by a committed group of volunteer solicitors and law students.
Volunteers contribute to NTLAS’ work in two main areas:
- Taking client instructions and providing advice; and
- Undertaking research.
To find out more about the Night Time Legal Advice Service click here
Before volunteering for the service, every volunteer must participate in an induction session at Canberra Community Law. Induction sessions are held twice a year in February and June.
If you are a solicitor or law student interested in volunteering please email a copy of your CV addressed to the NTLAS Administrator at email@example.com and your name will be put on the waiting list for the next induction session.
We are fortunate to receive a very high volume of applications each year for NTLAS. Due to the limited number of volunteer positions available and the large number of applications received, CCL will only be in contact with successful applicants If you are selected to participate in an induction you will be emailed in approximately early January or early May.
We particularly invite applications from people with a disability and from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
If you would like more information about volunteering opportunities at other Community Legal Centres in the ACT you can go to the National Association of Community Legal Centres website at www.naclc.org.au and follow the CLC volunteers’ link.
Pro Bono Work
There are a range of pro bono opportunities to assist Street Law and our clients. We welcome the support of barristers and law firms. Please contact us to discuss your interests and the needs of our clients.
Street Law welcomes the opportunity to host staff on secondment and has experience in arrangements with law firms to host solicitors under agreement. Please contact us to discuss secondment opportunities.
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice Placements
Street Law is able to host Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (GDLP) Students on a limited basis. If you are interested in undertaking a GDLP placement with Street Law please email a copy of your CV and details of your placement preferences (number of total placement days and days per week that you are available) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your name will be placed on a waiting list for our next induction session. Due to the number of applications received, Street Law will only be in contact with you if you are selected to participate.